Sunday, August 10, 2008

early stages

Articles in the mail have given me a bit of a prior idea about the work I will do with scientists in Denmark, including this visualisation of polar bear movements, traced by satellite tracking devices. 

I'm travelling from Melbourne to work with Environmental scientist Jesper Madsen at NERI (National Environmental Research Institute). Jesper has sent me articles he has written about his research in the coastal regions of Denmark. His team studies the narwhal and porpoise, polar bears and bird species. He has sent me his visualisations of the data created by satellite tracking the movements of the animals in the fjords. The satellite track patterns are like drawings in space. A lot of artists have worked with humans as mobile generators of patterns (see locative media art) but animals also provide traces of geographic movements. These traces reveal if their movements have shifted as the climate changes.

No comments: