Friday, August 29, 2008

Today I had my first meeting with Jesper and Rune at NERI. We discussed the kind of material that I might work with and arranged times to meet with several scientists to discuss their projects. They were concerned that my research might be very broad ranging and I reassured them that it would be quite a specific scientific project that I would like to work with. They were interested in whether I would complete a work or part there-of in the residency. I would like to make some animation  on site with their material - this would also be helpful to the scientists as it gives them a physical sense of the animal's movements in space. I am interested in working with the tracking of  animals where there may be corresponding research I can also do in the Southern hemisphere, or birds with global migration patterns such as the Arctic Tern. I also met with scientist Carsten Egevang who spent the summer on 'sand island' (from above it looks like a tropical island but it actually usually engulfed in ice) in Eastern Greenland tagging Arctic tern with data logging devices to find out their migration patterns. Jesper asked Carsten to give me a presentation on his fresh research results. He was very excited with the initial results of the recovered data from a very basic data logger which revealed the bird's location by the light intensity which indicated their latitude. He now has evidence to show that the birds travel from North to South poles in their migration patterns. There is an infectious enthusiasm for the work they are doing amongst the scientists at NERI - and I have a desk space already.  

No comments: